Advantages of OCC in the Plant System
OCC can move through the symplastic pathway in the plant system, traverse cell membranes, and move freely within the plant’s interconnected cellular network. This mode of action is vital for compounds that require cell-to-cell movements to exert their effects.
Following is a summary of the advantages and benefits of OCC;
- Efficient Distribution: OCC spreads throughout the plant via the symplastic pathway, ensuring even distribution to leaves, stems, roots, and fruits.
- Systemic Protection: Provides systemic protection against pests, pathogens, and diseases by reaching all parts of the plant.
- Targeted Action: Target specific sites within the plant for enhanced effectiveness, reducing the required quantity and minimising environmental impact.
- Rapid Response: Prompts a swift plant response as it spreads and activates defence mechanisms or physiological reactions.
- Environmental Friendly: Beyond its food-grade ingredients, it also reduces environmental impact due to lower usage quantities and efficient uptake within the plant.
- Long-lasting Effects: Ensures prolonged effects by lingering in various plant parts, offering extended protection and benefits.
- Stability: OCC-encapsulated compounds remain stable and effective over time with reduced susceptibility to external degradation within plant cells.
- Consistent Movement: Relies less on external factors, ensuring constant movement and efficacy regardless of environmental conditions.
In summary, OCC’s ability to move through plant symplastic pathways provides efficient, targeted, and systemic protection, leading to rapid and lasting benefits while minimising environmental harm.